This walk uses The Watercress Way and other nearby paths and bridleways to give a circular walk that takes about 3 hours with an option of a slightly shorter return leg. Follow The Watercress Way signs.
Parking at Stavedown Rd/Staniers Lane junction SO21 3HA
[Alternative starting point is the South Wonston Pavilion and Recreation ground car park, Lower Rd, SO21 3HP.
Another possibility is to start at the Gratton Park car park Sutton Scotney commencing at step 8]
1. Follow the Bridleway towards South Wonston Farm
2. At the farm follow The Watercress Way sign
3. Follow the signed path on the right before the farm buildings
4. When you reach a junction of two paths turn left following The Watercress Way sign
5. When you reach the road carry on along it for a few hundred metres then at the road junction turn right then follow the path immediately on the left following The Watercress Way sign
6. You will reach Sutton Scotney about an hour after you started. To the left are the War Memorial and the Victoria Hall. If you want refreshment there are two nearby pubs: The Wonston Arms and The Coach and Horses
7. You can retrace your steps here or do a circuit by crossing the road and proceeding up the road past The Coach and Horses which is one of our sponsors. Note the railway bridge and cutting to the right which we hope to open in the future. The site of Sutton Scotney railway station is now a housing development
8. Follow the pathway to the right leading to the Gratton Park. Follow the path past the children’s play area before turning right onto the marked path for a few hundred metres
9. Turn left at the road and walk a few hundred metres until you reach Beggars Drove on the right. Follow this path back to meet the road from step 5. Turn right past the path into Sutton Scotney and then turn left up the road at the junction until you reach the footpath.
10. After a few metres, you will reach the junction from step 4. Here you have a choice either turn right and retrace your way back to your car or carry straight on for a slightly longer route11. If you carry straight on you pass Wonston Manor Farm and then continue until you reach the Alresford Drove road
12. Turn right and follow the road for a few hundred metres until you turn left into Droves Link Road on the left
13. At the end of the Droves Link Road turn right on the Ox Drove. Pass the South Wonston Recreation ground on the left
14. Continue on for a few hundred metres and then turn right through the houses on Downlands Way and Groves Close to Stanier Lane and then back to your starting point