3rd AGM of The Watercress Way
Thursday 21 June on the Alresford Drove
The nine trustees were delighted to present their Annual Report after another busy and successful year for the charity. Thank you to the members of the public who attended.
- Increased awareness and use of the Watercress Way which is now fully waymarked. In particular, the organised walk at Easton in March was well attended and there is a forthcoming one in Sutton Scotney. Worthy Runners are making extensive use of the paths and 6 members completed the marathon distance of the entire route on our Dusk to Dawn Day in April.
- The Annual Dawn to Dusk Day in April included a well-attended Dawn Chorus Walk and a visit to the site of Itchen Abbas station which is now in a private garden.
- Support from the SDNPA in the development of our Strategic Plan and professionally producing it to give greater support for grant applications.
- The plans to open up the bridge at Sutton Scotney. We have a licence from HCC and are working with Sutton Manor to obtain a licence for their section. After this we can make bids for funding for clearance. This will be in the region of £50 000 and will be our first major project.
- We will be erecting 3 interpretation boards and 4 benches on the route for which we have already obtained funding.
The Charity currently has funds of £5449.05. However, the majority of these funds are grants specifically for a variety of projects including interpretation boards and benches.
For funding to run the charity and publicise our activities we are reliant on donations by individuals and sponsorship by local businesses. These barely cover the cost of our very popular leaflets and other expenses so we are always looking for support from Friends of the Line and the general public. We are confident that we can raise funds for major projects like Sutton Scotney from the land fill tax and from the Community Infrastructure Levy.
To keep in touch with our activities you can
- Sign up as a Friend of the Line to receive our newsletters
- Follow us on Facebook or Twitter
- Look at the website
Secretary, The Watercress Way
Our Latest News
Volunteer Day Sunday 16 September at 1:00pm
In conjunction with Worthys Conservation Volunteers we are doing conservation work at Worthy Down Halt, SO21 2RR. Please wear appropriate clothing and gloves. Undoubtedly stinging nettles to clear! Please let us know if you are coming. email email@example.com
Name the Lamb Competition
Over the summer the Trustees of the Watercress Way have been inviting children to enter a Name The Lamb competition with a prize of a cuddly lamb. Events included our Dawn to Dusk Day on 29 April, guided walks in Easton and Sutton Scotney, the Alresford Watercress Festival and fetes in Kings Worthy and South…
20 people join trustees for a sunny walk in Sutton Scotney
Sunday 24 June 2018 This is one of walks organised and guided by one of the trustees to share our knowledge of the Watercress Way, highlighting its history and ecology. Sign up as a Friend of the Line to receive information about future walks. Walkers were able to see the site of the railway bridge…
The Watercress Festival and the Kings Worthy Fete
Our trustees met a large number of interested people in both Alresford and Kings Worthy. Many of whom were unaware of The Watercress Way. They are now! The display inside our new gazebo attracted plenty of attention and we gave out hundreds of leaflets. If you want a leaflet please download here There were many…